Which was the greatest area high school football team of all time?
In the Garden Grove-Stanton-Westminster area, which prep gridiron team was the most outstanding? In the Sept. 9 issue of the Journal we will attempt to answer that question, as well as relive some of the most memorable moments in local football history.
You can contribute by sending your thoughts (and photos) to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Best Prep Football Team” somewhere in the subject line.
Just to get the pot stirring, some nominees:
• The 1986 Bolsa Grande Matadors, who won the very first CIF football title for a team from the Garden Grove League or Garden Grove school district.
• The 1992-3 Rancho Alamitos Vaqueros, who went to the CIF finals for two years running (1992-1993).
• The 2009-10 Garden Grove Argonauts, who made two straight CIF finals, losing in 2009 but winning in the last two minutes in 2010.
Some teams didn’t win CIF gold but still impressed.
• The 1971 and 1975 Westminster High teams won titles in the tough Sunset League.
• Pacifica High has made four trips to the CIF finals, most recently in 2007. The 2010 team beat CIF champion Garden Grove in a non-league contest.
• Orange High, one of the four oldest schools in Orange County, was a CIF finalist in 1989 and 2005, and first won a section crown in 1929.
• Western High made it to the CIF finals in 1971 and 1972, and then again in 2003 and 2004.
• Garden Grove High played national powerhouse Mater Dei High to a scoreless tie in 1962.
Let us know what you think.