Garden Grove Journal
High school football will be starting sooner than school will this fall.
Where most area schools will be opening their doors on Sept. 5, all of our local schools serving the Garden Grove-Stanton-Westminster area will be kicking off their seasons in August.
That’s in order to allow the CIF Southern Section playoffs to begin, and conclude earlier.
Most leagues featuring local teams (Garden Grove, Golden West and Orange) will be competing in the Southern Division. The Empire League is in the Southeast Division.
Defending league champions are Rancho Alamitos (Garden Grove League), Segerstrom (Golden West), Anaheim (Orange) and Cypress (Empire).
Here’s the CIF Southern Sections’ listing of season openers. If you’re planning on attending, check with the host school because some changes are common.
• Bolsa Grande: Hosting Laguna Beach on Aug. 31.
• Garden Grove: Hosting Westminster on Aug. 31
• La Quinta: Visiting Century on Aug. 31.
• Los Amigos: Visiting Godinez on Aug. 31.
• Rancho Alamitos: Visiting Savanna Aug. 31
• Santiago: Visiting Costa Mesa on Aug. 30.
• Orange: Hosting Saddleback on Aug. 30.
• Westminster: Visiting Garden Grove on Aug. 31.
• Magnolia: Visiting Huntington Beach on Aug. 31.
• Pacifica: Visiting Bellflower on Aug. 31.
• Western: Visiting Costa Mesa on Aug. 24.