Garden Grove’s Volunteer Fire Department was formed after the Fire District was established in January 1927. The creation of a “modern” water system with fire hydrants in 1926 made it possible to have adequate fire protection. The new American LaFrance pumper was ready for use in September 1927 and was the most modern unit in all of unincorporated Orange County. An electric siren was mounted on the water tower to call the volunteers when needed. Eugene Tobias was the first fire chief and served for 25 years. The restored pumper and siren are now on display at the Stanley Ranch Museum in a replica of the original fire station building. The volunteer fire service was eventually absorbed into what is now the Garden Grove Fire Department. The City of Garden Grove was incorporated in 1956.
Copy and photo from the Garden Grove Historical Society