Garden Grove’s Japanese school (Nihongo Gakuen) was established in 1914 by immigrant farmers who wanted their children to grow up with knowledge and appreciation of Japanese culture and language. Located on Sherman Drive and Main Street, where the west entrance to the Costco parking lot is now, the school operated until 1941, when it closed temporarily after the bombing of Pearl Harbor. As Japanese-Americans returned from relocations camps after the war, it provided shelter. Classes resumed in 1957. In 1988, the city’s redevelopment agency saw the potential of the busy area near Century Avenue and Garden Grove Boulevard, and proposed the demolition of existing buildings. Just before Christmas in 1991, the school was demolished. Classes were moved to leased classrooms at Rossier School (formerly Simmons School) on Steele Drive, south of Orangewood Avenue. Today, Japanese schools exist in Anaheim and Orange, and Rossier is again Simmons School, part of the Garden Grove Unified School District.This picture shows the entire student body and teachers, gathered on the steps of the modest frame building in 1919.